Group Financial Controller
We are currently recruiting for the senior role of Group Financial Controller. The Group Financial Controller heads up the Finance Department and leads the Finance Team; with the role reporting directly to the Group Finance Director.
The Finance Department has overall responsibility for the financial environment within the group and provides a comprehensive range of financial services to a large number of group companies in Ireland, the UK and Europe across every aspect of the business – transport, logistics services, warehousing, fleet management & maintenance, asset management, treasury and shared services.
The Group Financial Controller (GFC) will report directly to the Group Finance Director. The GFC will be a key member of the senior management team and will work with the Finance Director and other senior managers within the group in setting the strategic direction for the Finance Department and delivering on its strategic objectives in the context of the overall group strategy.
The Group Financial Controller will lead the finance team and have direct responsibility for the group’s financial accounting function, reporting, forecasting and preparation of all monthly management accounts.
In addition, the GFC will have responsibilities for specific commercial development and project activities within the group. The GFC will play a key role in the development of financial structures to be put in place to fund the further expansion of the group.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not restricted to the following:
- Managing finance team members to co-ordinate and deliver on internal and external reporting requirements and ensuring the group and its subsidiary companies reporting requirements are met .
- Provide leadership to the accounting teams on technical accounting matters and provide clear direction on any high level financial queries that arise.
- Preparation, analysis and oversight for the group financial Statements.
- Full responsibility for the subsidiary group companies budget and financial reporting cycle.
- Preparation of group Board trading updates and commentary papers – in advance of monthly board meetings.
- Preparation of financial forecasts for the group.
- Prepare regular detailed cash flow analysis for the Finance Director and in advance of every monthly board meeting.
- Lead the future development of the finance function– including systems and software changes and upgrades, automation of report generation in parts of the business that can be automated and the use of AI to undertake certain work within the finance department.
- Oversee the annual audit engagement with the group’s external auditor, ensuring audit requirements are met in a timely manner & on schedule.
- Responsibility for group taxation affairs and all related returns, both domestic and international and liaising closely with the group tax advisers.
- Monitoring and enhancing tax compliance controls, structures and automated processes to ensure effective management of the Group’s overall tax compliance.
- Identify, lead and manage grant aid opportunities across every aspect of operations within the group.
- Ensuring financial controls are effective and robust and being appropriately applied within the subsidiary companies and across the entire group operations and business units.
- Providing leadership to the accounting teams.
- Recruit, onboard and induct finance team members when vacancies arise.
- Identifying projects across the Finance Department as part of the continuous improvement program, including the utilisation of technology and financial systems to streamline financial business processes.
- Leading the assessment of business development opportunities within the group.
- Presenting as required to the board of the group and any subsidiary company boards.
- Managing and supporting teams to ensure that staff receive continuous training and development.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates must be a qualified accountant (ACA or ACCA) with a minimum of 5 years’ relevant post qualification experience in a similar senior role in an organisation with similar scale and complexity. Candidates should possess the following key attributes;
- Excellent technical accounting skills & ability to deal with high level financial decisions.
- Strong commercial acumen with a demonstrable track record in commercial projects.
- Demonstrable experience working in a complex environment with a record of success.
- Board level experience.
- Project management and delivery experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams within a fast paced dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to produce timely and insightful reports and disseminate key information to support decision making.
- Demonstrable track record of implementing change through technology to achieve continuous financial function improvement.
- Ability to achieve and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Good working knowledge of Irish & UK tax legislation.
- Track record of leading effective engagement with internal stakeholders.
The following personal characteristics are important for this position;
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Initiative and ability to work independently.
- Proactive self-starter.
- Excellent influencing, persuasion and negotiating skills.
- Ability to build positive relationships with colleagues in the group and key external associates.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Demonstrable problem solving ability.
- Record of achievement.
- Ability and demonstrated experience of leading and developing teams.